Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Baseball and Bridges


I like baseball. Quite a bit. Okay, not enough to actually blog about it but I'm a consistent quasi-fan who once went to a Yankees parade (1996. And those are not for the faint of heart) And J. who once dated a cop from upstate, actually went to that World Series (I think it was) and entered the stadium on a horse! (I think that's how it happened. I remember he wore a pinky ring and they broke up soon after, though I'm not sure any of this is related except tangentially and for ... color commentary for whatever it's worth.)

All this to say, I had nice afterwork rendezvous with C. at Ideya, the fun Jamaican joint on W. Broadway.

The experience was made even more delightful by a late-meal sighting of Ken Burns at the table near us. His life's work to date is simply incredible, both in volume and quality, and all the more amazing in its breadth and depth -- and subjects: how cool! Jazz! Architecture Baseball! Radio! And more than a dozen other impeccably forged pieces. He's a hero of mine, truth be told.

Years ago, I was a documentary filmmaker for about twenty minutes, post-TSOA -- with a still-yet-to-be unearthed gem of a video called "Working Dreams," presumptive analogue to Studs Terkel's wonderful Working, created with old friend Janine and great DP Doug Shannon... It languishes in 3/4" obscurity. We interviewed subject ranging from a chimney sweeper to Pam, a Bloomingdale's perfume sprayer. But I digress.

Ken's Brooklyn Bridge is closest to my heart; I'll tell you why some other time.

Anyway. Happy to see the guy; happy to know he had some good grub tonight. Happy there are people like him in the world, here and now, actively preserving the past in a way that makes one almost certain there is hope for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, KB! Nice sighting, you're better than Page Six! Isn't that eatery called Ideya though? I think I've heard of it. Didn't you also see Cristopha from the Sopranos this weekend? (Thought it was in Sunday's unedited blog entry?)

KDT said...

Thanks, C. I'm usually a pretty good speller. But I now notice I also spelled "Bloomingdale's" wrong. So I'll fix both. And yeah, I did see Michael Imperioli at Landmarc(the W. B'way one) last weekend. I might've mentioned and then probably deleted. I choose, you know, the high road. And quite a bit of self-editing. Probably need more of that. Oh well.

 
Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Netvibes View blog top tags