Sunday, January 11, 2009

Liquidity

Anticipating a morning of reading aloud at Lighthouse Int'l. from a third edition textbook on Java, I was apprehensive. However, even reading about an object oriented programming language can provide some poetry and some needed connecting of some of my lazier components of my own neural network. Java (from Sun Microsystems). From Wikipedia (since I can't exactly ask to take the textbook home):

Java uses an automatic garbage collector to manage memory in the object lifecycle. The programmer determines when objects are created, and the Java runtime is responsible for recovering the memory once objects are no longer in use. Once no references to an object remain, the unreachable becomes eligible to be freed automatically by the garbage collector. Something similar to a memory leak may still occur if a programmer's code holds a reference to an object that is no longer needed, typically when objects that are no longer needed are stored in containers that are still in use....

Now that's very nice for a computer program. But I'd like to see it applied non-theoretically to one's brain (or the brain of any aging relative). It just sounds cool ... and effective. The photo? My 74 year old dad shoveling snow of the roof of the little house he built for my grandmother. Wow. Just... wow.

In other news, I'm still recoving from a wonderful night in Brooklyn, celebrating A.'s birthday at Union Hall. Great to see old friends and just hang out. Naturally, since I was with S., we continued the convivery (is that a word? If not, it should be) at Oscar on MacDougal Street, where I met the owner, a wonderful, brilliant man who is going to hook me up with the architect I need to build my treehouse. Well, we'll see about that but hey. Good times...

Note: D. Leshem. Where ARE you?

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Subscribe with Bloglines Add to Netvibes View blog top tags